Tuesday 14 February 2017

Hamburg Part 3



This is the model of medieval Hamburg - a densely populated which had become of the world's important trading centre. In 1381 Hamburg became part of the Hanseatic League. This trade alliance dominated trade in the Baltic and North Seas. The word 'Hansa' comes from the Middle Low German word for 'convoy'. The German airline 'Lufthansa' incorporates the word. (air convoy).

The Hanseatic League features in a book about the history of the North Sea.



During my visit I took a couple of cruises along the Elbe - one in the evening, with a meal with delegates from the conference my wife was attending, and the other during the day. I also used the U-bahn to get around the city and see some of the other sites. I look forward to returning to Hamburg - with not quite as long a gap as previously. [I had stopped in Hamburg for a very short stay back in 1978]. There is so much to see - and it is a very pleasant city.

No comments:

Post a Comment