Friday 10 June 2016

Portsmouth



Last week I went on a short "holiday" to Cherbourg (more of that in posts to come) - but in order to catch the early morning ferry (I live in Milton Keynes which is 120 miles from the ferry port), I had to go down the day before to Portsmouth. In fact, I've visited Portsmouth many times in recent weeks.

While I'm in the city, I enjoy exploring the history, of which it has so much. For many centuries it was the major centre of Britain's naval defences. The dockyard houses Nelson's flagship, the Victory, on which he died at the Battle of Trafalgar; the Mary Rose from the Tudor period - and so much more. I haven't visited on any of my recent visits - but I hope to soon.

The defences for the city itself are worth a visit. From just south of Gunwharf Quays (and the Spinnaker Tower - pictured above) the walls can still be walked around. That is pleasant in itself, but there are also interpretation boards which tell the visitor more about the history. Southsea castle is also worth a visit.

During our visit we bought some of the "Portsmouth Papers" which are short booklets about various aspects of Portsmouth's history. I'll be writing pieces based on some of them, once I've read them!

We also visited the birthplace of Charles Dickens, which I also indeed to write about in coming posts.

So - keep an eye on this blog - and together we can explore Portsmouth (and other places)



No comments:

Post a Comment