Thursday 5 January 2017

Head of the Thames

During last year's visit to Gloucester, I drove into Cirencester - then took a short drive along the Fosse Way (now thee A433) to this pub. The name hints at its significance.




A short walk from this pub, and there is a stone marker which says "The Conservation of the River Thames 1857-1974. This stone was placed here to mark the Source of the River Thames. I don't have a photograph, as the path was muddy and my time was short. Next time perhaps...

Had I reached the stone, it would have been unlikely that I would have seen water bubbling up. Most of the time the immediate area is dry - only after heavy and prolonged rainfall does the Thames reappear. First sight of a tiny stream comes a little further down the Thames Path - which begins here - I've walked London parts of that walk - but have yet to explore the early part of that great river's journey.

There are some excellent guides to the Thames Path - I have the National Trail Guide and the Thames Path AZ Adventure.




Online you can visit Keith Pauling's informative website at
http://www.thamespathway.com

The Source of the Thames is adjacent to an iron age hill fort. There's some useful background to this hill fort at http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=30767




No comments:

Post a Comment